Over the past ten years, numerous people have asked for my guidance to get started selling on eBay. I made it a habit to ask them for their motivation to start an online retail business, and I was amazed by the misconceptions people had about the business of online sales.
Most of the times the answer I got to the above question was one of the following:
- “It’s easy to build a profitable business from online sales”
- “It’s a great way to create a passive income”
- “It takes just a few hours a day to generate a full-time income”
- “Anyone can do it”
- “Online business has little to no overhead”
Moreover, selling myths are not only confined to the notion of “getting rich fast” but also include very pessimistic approaches such as:
- “You cannot compete with Amazon, so no point trying”
- “eBay is dying”
- “eBay is flooded with cheap Chinese products”
So today, I’ll go over the flaws in all of the above statements and explain the reality behind these myths.
Let’s start to debunk!